Most modern day diesel engines have a Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF as standard to meet government set emissions control. This brings in other maintenance requirements.
In normal operation the DPF is activated automatically on your vehicle whether it’s a car, 4wd or Japanese truck. As long as they are fitted from factory with a DPF system.
There is some key points to remember:
- It is normal operation for your car to run this automatically and it will blow smoke
- Some Vehicles have manual DPF burn activation switches (consult your vehicle manual)
- The engine will go to higher rpm while conducting a DPF burn
- Do not turn your vehicle off or use the accelerator as it will cancel the process
- Some vehicles require dealer level diagnostic equipment to conduct manual regenerations
If you have a DPF warning lamp or flashing check engine light your DPF system may need some diagnostics carried out and require repairs to the Diesel Particulate Filter system.